Friday, June 21, 2013

Mill: Packaging My Android DRO

Please read the complete article:

I finished packaging the Android DRO. It went into a Radio Shack project box which I machined slots in for the USB adaptors to stick out through. I wedged them in there and glued them in place with two part epoxy. I also cut a hole for the USB cable which will provide power. To mount the Arduino I secured a thin piece of wood in the bottom of the project box, which the Arduino is then screwed to.

I then used Sugru to make the USB connectors look pretty, enclose the USB power cable, and provide it with strain relief.

Thanks to my mom for helping with the Sugru molding. If you haven't used it before, Sugru is a really useful thing to have in your tool box. It comes in little packets and it's silicone rubber which sticks to most things and is moldable for 30 minutes after opening, and cures in 24-48 hours.

After that the USB cable was hot glued into the USB jack on the Arduino, the unit was tested again, and then the top was screwed in place. Done! I don't think I'll mount it on the mill itself since it doesn't really need to be. Oooooooor I may mount it.

All packed up and ready to go.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty cool, I've never heard of sugru before.