Saturday, March 18, 2017

Lathe: Gear Reduction Pulleys

I realized I never used the high speed on my mini lathe, and I really needed a lower speed on there than what I had for parting and knurling. In addition, the mini lathe belt is a proprietary part which I'm not a fan of.

There are a lot of sellers on eBay selling ratio reduction pulleys for the mini lathe. They'll drop the low speed to 700 RPM and high speed to 1800 RPM with an increase in torque and lower low speed.

I bought the cheapest one I could find expecting it to need modification to be usable, and it did. I needed to turn the large pulley down to 10mm wide to fit. I then needed to cut a keyway in the motor pulley. However, once I was done they fit nicely and use a standard xl (163xl037) belt which is easily available on Amazon.

Pulleys and belt in place.

In low speed it's now usable down to about 150 RPM which is a really nice change from before, and should really help parting and knurling. I may eventually experiment with the ratio and go up a tooth on the motor.

4 comments:

  1. Could you send more details on the parts you changed , and sources Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you search for on ebay for the ratio reduction pulleys? I'm not getting any hits for this on ebay at all.

    ReplyDelete